Coronavirus (Covid 19) is highly infectious.
Way, way more infectious than you’re probably aware of, please take the warnings from experts seriously!
Like many respiratory viruses, including flu, Covid-19 can be spread in tiny droplets released from the nose and mouth of an infected person as they cough. A single cough can produce up to 3,000 droplets. These particles can land on other people, clothing and surfaces around them, but some of the smaller particles can remain in the air; the virus can survive in droplets for up to three hours after being coughed out into the air. Fine droplets between 1-5 micrometres in size – about 30 times smaller than the width of a human hair – can remain airborne for several hours in still air. It survives for longer on cardboard – up to 24 hours – and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless-steel surfaces.
Protecting yourself and others
- Touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- Leaflet or deliver shopping if you are unwell (even if you have only mild symptoms)
- Leaflet or deliver shopping if you know you have been in recent contact with someone with Covid 19 symptoms
- Leaflet in large groups
- Go into any houses – leave food or goods outside, call the person to let them know you’ve delivered it, and get confirmation they’ve received it before you leave
- Take public transport
- Wash your hands (20 seconds) before and after – whether you’re taking leaflets from the printer, leafleting or delivering shopping
- Keep hand sanitiser to hand and use it regularly
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing and sneezing. If no tissue, cough and sneeze into the crook of your arm
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- Store leaflets in an envelope or zip lock bag to protect them from contamination
- Disinfect any items which may be given to people who may have compromised immune systems
- Remind recipients to wash any shopping you deliver and wash their hands after touching it
- Avoid taking public transport where possible